I know it’s the same advice we have all heard before… but I find that it is true. The less stuff you have around the house the easier it is to keep it clean.
I have been on a kick lately to organize my house. I live in a large house and I run a full time internet store out of it. I am pretty organized in my business stuff but my personal stuff… not so much.
Really I am great at cleaning up big messes and making the house look beautiful, think putting out fires but I stink at keeping it picked up and organized on a daily basis.
Enter the idea of the less you have the easier it is to keep it clean and organized.
There are a couple of steps I am taking to follow the less is better route.
- buy better quality products when purchasing for the first time
- clean out and organize every cupboard, closet, drawer, etc
I will explain the first one briefly because I will be talking about it more in the next couple of weeks in detail. I find that I used to shop with price in mind. I used to think that if it was cheap it was a good deal. The problem with this thought is that a lot of the time the product was cheap price wise but also cheap in quality so I would end up buying more and more to compensate. After buying a few quality pieces (thanks to my hubby’s suggestion) I now find that overall I buy a lot less because things are lasting better. Like I said…. I will be addressing this in further detail soon so check back.
The second one is pretty self explanatory. Just because my house is big and I have a lot of cabinets/drawers/cupboards doesn’t mean they all need to be filled to the brim. I am slowly getting through everything and getting rid of a bunch.
That brings me to this post. I was cleaning a corner of my room that had accumulated some junk that I needed to go through. I decided to be hard on myself and if I hadn’t used something recently or had a definite need for it in the near future then it had to go.
Below are the pictures of what I am getting rid of. Some of it will be sold, some will be given away and the rest will be thrown in the trash. It feels so good to be rid of this stuff. Even though it is a small amount, it is still a start.
Check back because I will be making this an ongoing post. I hope you join me and get rid of stuff you don’t need too.
- some random old makeup I don’t use anymore
- an eyelash curler (ok, this thing freaks me out a bit so it must go)
- a king size bedskirt that came with our bedding set that we have never used
- an animal print blanket I bough for my cat ( cat prefers to sleep on anything he shouldn’t be sleeping on instead of this blanket)
- a camera strap I bought at Disney World that I changed my mind on
- a book that I am finished reading
- a pair of earrings
- a few misc toys that were handing around on my floor for some reason
17 things leaving….. woo hoo!